My Mom's Vegetable Hamburger Soup | A Simple Meal for Busy Weeks
My Mom's Vegetable Hamburger Soup
A simple meal for busy weeks and tired hearts
There are some recipes that become family favorites because they're fancy.
This isn't one of them.
My mom's vegetable hamburger soup has always been one of those dependable recipes that shows up when life gets busy. It isn't complicated, expensive, or time-consuming. In fact, that's exactly why I love it.
Time Saver: I prepare my week of vegetables and hamburger and then add the broth to the bowl with each serving. These are MY meals for when work gets hectic, the garden needs attention, children have activities, or life simply feels full, this is one of the meals I reach for. I can make a big pot in one evening, enjoy leftovers throughout the week, or freeze a few containers for those days when cooking just isn't going to happen.
One of the greatest gifts I've learned over the years is that healthy meals don't have to be elaborate. Sometimes the best meals are the ones that quietly nourish your family while freeing you to focus on the people around your table.
This soup reminds me of my mom. It reminds me that good food doesn't have to impress anyone. It simply needs to provide comfort, nourishment, and a place for family to gather.
That, to me, is what home cooking is all about.
My Mom's Vegetable Hamburger Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35–45 minutes
Servings: 8–10
Ingredients
Protein
1½–2 pounds ground beef
Broth
6–8 cups water, homemade stock, or GF organic bone broth (or GF broth seasoning)
2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1–2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
Hard Vegetables
(Start these first since they take the longest to cook.)
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes or sweet potatoes
Turnips
Parsnips
Rutabaga
Softer Vegetables
(Add these later so they don't become mushy.)
Green beans
Zucchini
Yellow squash
Cabbage
Peas
Corn
Spinach
Kale
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Great Ways to Use What You Have
This soup is perfect for using up vegetables before they spoil.
Look through your:
refrigerator
freezer
garden
pantry
Some of my favorites include:
canned green beans
canned yellow squash with onions
leftover roasted vegetables
frozen vegetable blends
Don't be afraid to mix fresh, frozen, and canned vegetables together. They all work beautifully.
Directions:
Brown the hamburger in a separate skillet. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Drain excess grease if needed and set aside.
In a large soup pot, add your broth or water along with the onions and all of the hard vegetables.
Add the oregano, thyme, marjoram, Herbs de Provence, sea salt, and pepper.
Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the hard vegetables are beginning to soften.
Stir in the cooked hamburger.
Add the softer vegetables and continue cooking another 10–15 minutes, just until tender.
Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
My Favorite Way to Eat It
I almost never eat this soup exactly the same way twice.
When I warm up leftovers, I usually pour in a cup of homemade bone broth while reheating. It's a simple way to add extra nourishment, minerals, and rich homemade flavor. Then I finish it with a few shakes of Frank's RedHot®.
Simple.
Comforting.
Delicious.
Celiac Shack Notes
One of the greatest lessons my mom taught me wasn't this recipe—it was learning how to cook without depending on recipes.
Instead of asking,
"Do I have everything?"
I now ask,
"What needs to be used?"
That one simple question has saved our family hundreds of dollars over the years.
A zucchini that has been sitting in the refrigerator...
Half a bag of frozen vegetables...
Three carrots...
A handful of spinach...
They all become part of dinner.
One of the easiest ways to eat healthier, waste less food, and stretch the grocery budget is to learn to cook with what you already have.
The only rule I consistently follow is this:
Cook the hard vegetables first. Add the softer vegetables later.
Everything else is wonderfully flexible.
Around Our Table
This is one of those meals you'll often find simmering on my stove during especially busy weeks.
Some weeks I'm juggling work, writing, family responsibilities, or preparing classes. Knowing there's a pot of homemade soup in the refrigerator makes healthy eating so much easier.
It's not fancy.
It's simply real food made with love.
Sometimes those are the meals our families remember most.
Celiac Shack Challenge
Before you head to the grocery store this week, take five minutes to look through your refrigerator, freezer, and pantry.
Can you build one nourishing meal using ingredients you already have?
Maybe it's this soup.
Maybe it's a stir-fry.
Maybe it's an omelet loaded with vegetables.
Learning to cook from what you already have will:
save money,
reduce food waste,
simplify meal planning,
and help real food become a natural part of everyday life.
One simple meal at a time.
Where Real Food Feels Like Home. ❤️
Love,
Steffanie




Comments