Keep Your Eyes On Me: Finding God's Light Through Domestic Violence

The Celiac Shack
Real food, faith & gluten-free living
❦
Keep Your Eyes On Me
Finding God's light through domestic violence
by Steffanie England

October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month, and this year I want to share the part of the story that's full of light, because God has been in every bit of it.

I'm loyal. I have grit. I don't give up on people. Those are good things, and for a long time they kept me holding on and holding my silence, afraid of what speaking up would do.

When I finally began opening up to a few close friends and a counselor, they told me plainly: NO, what you are living is NOT normal.

Picture me in that counselor's office. My arms and legs were crossed. My head was shaved, I wore no makeup, and I had on a cream trench coat in the middle of summer with my cowboy boots. Everything about me was saying, STAY AWAY FROM ME.

That shaved head had a story. I had a dear friend, now passed on, who had left an abusive relationship and shaved her head as a kind of rebirth, the start of no longer living in fear. After a year of separation, I was about to go back to my marriage. In honor of her, and as a pledge to myself, I looked into the mirror as I shaved my head and said, "No more fear."

It was armor, too. I was starved for love and affection, and strangers had noticed me and approached me in my beauty. So to protect myself, I stripped that beauty away as much as I could.

That counselor saw straight through the armor, leaned toward me, and said, "I hear you." Then leaned in again and said it slowly. "I hear you."

And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
John 8:32

Then, at random times, in different places and different states, three strangers came to me with the very same message: God wants to be the lover of your soul.

The hunger I'd been hiding under that trench coat was exactly what He wanted to fill.

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name...
Isaiah 54:5
Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
Jeremiah 31:3
God Was There All Along

Looking back, I can see His hand everywhere. He reached out to me in so many ways, and He put people in place before I ever knew I would need them.

For I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.
Doctrine and Covenants 84:88
A Dream

Before the hardest moment of all, I had a dream. I was sitting in a roller coaster seat, about to go on a terrifying looking ride. My brother Joey, who is beyond the veil now, came to me. He took the seatbelt, buckled me in, and said, "Get ready for a roller coaster ride."

His face was stern and solemn, and I felt a tremendous strength, not just from him but from an army of the unseen standing with me.

Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.
2 Kings 6:16
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight...
Hebrews 12:1
The Hardest Day

Then the ride began. I was circled, and I could feel the spit and the breath and the snarl, inches from my face:

"I told D______ what I wanted TO DO TO YOU, but he told me not to because you are really, really smart."

I couldn't stop shaking. By then I had been trembling for over two years, even as I fasted and prayed and read my scriptures. I was buying bottled water. I paced every step, and I watched, and I listened, and I waited.

And then, unexpectedly, the Lord Himself took my arms and placed His forehead against my forehead, and I heard, "Keep Your Eyes On Me."

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith...
Hebrews 12:2
I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.
Psalm 32:8
The Battle Is the Lord's

I couldn't out-think it, out-work it, or out-pray it on my own. I didn't have to. God's wisdom is higher, His strategy is perfect, and He fights for His daughters.

The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
Exodus 14:14
Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn.
Isaiah 54:17
The Fight of Our Lives

An abuser will not care who he uses as ransom to get you to say and act the way he wants. Not your friends, not your family, not even his own child. Children can be framed, pulled into court, or held over a mother's head until she drops a protective order or takes back the truth. If you see a mother suddenly recant or give in, please don't judge her. She may be paying a ransom you can't see.

For our family, it was the fight of our lives. And God was in every part of it.

In one of our darkest hours, someone I love was placed beside a stranger named Joseph Schutz. My late brother's exact name. The same Joey who had buckled me in for the ride. We knew we weren't alone.

When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Isaiah 43:2
Earth Angels

Friends here. Strangers who showed up at exactly the right moment and said exactly the right thing. Some I knew for years, and some I met for only a moment.

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
Hebrews 13:2

I praise God for every one of them.

Family and Friends Who Came Back

I'm so grateful for the family and friends who were willing to look back and see how slowly they had been gaslit and distanced from me. That takes humility and love, and it brought them home to me. Thank you.

To the Onlooker in a Healthy Relationship

If your marriage is safe, your advice comes from a world where both people play fair. "Communicate better." "Pray more." "Be patient with him." "Don't give up on your marriage." In a healthy home, that's wise counsel. In an abusive one, it can tighten the trap, because she has already tried every one of those things, many times over.

When Job lost everything, his friends did something beautiful first.

So they sat down with him upon the ground seven days and seven nights, and none spake a word unto him: for they saw that his grief was very great.
Job 2:13

It was when they started explaining what Job should have done differently that they lost their way.

Sit with her first. Listen long. Believe her.

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath.
James 1:19
Your Worth, Daughter of God

You may have been told for years that you're too much, not enough, crazy, worthless, or lucky anyone would have you. None of it is true. Your worth was settled long before anyone tried to tear it down, and no one can lower it.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
Psalm 139:14
Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
Isaiah 43:1
Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee...
Isaiah 43:4
Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands...
Isaiah 49:16

He knows your name. He carries you in His hands. And He doesn't just tolerate you, He rejoices over you.

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17
To You, If You're In It

God IS so much stronger than anything you have to face. Trust Him. Believe Him. Allow Him to be the lover of your soul.

He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.
Isaiah 40:29

If you've been told you're crazy, you aren't.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7

Heaven is closer than you think. There are already people placed in your path, and you don't have to figure everything out today. You only have to reach out to one of them.

If you need help today
If you are in danger, call 911.
Utah LINKline, 24/7, free and confidential:
1-800-897-LINK (5465)
National Domestic Violence Hotline, 24/7:
1-800-799-7233, or text START to 88788
thehotline.org
Hay ayuda en español.
If someone checks your phone or computer, reach out from a friend's phone or a work phone.
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Morning comes. I'm living in it, and I give all the glory to God.

❦
Faith over fear

With much love,
Steffi

Comments

Popular Posts