Monday, January 3, 2011

Donair and Ghandi's Words both Brought me Peace


Many years ago I was told about a little old Jewish woman who was an amazing hair stylist.  Her name is Donair.  I will never forget our first appointment.  I sat down in the chair to receive what I thought was to be a haircut.  What I received instead was a complete surprise.  I received a lesson about trusting in God and His will.  There were many, many beautiful life lessons that Donair shared with me as I continued being a client of hers.  She would say "never divorce me" (from coming to her to get my hair cut).  But the memory of our first meeting will never be forgotten.

Donair sat me down, put the standard items in place to keep my clothes clean, she spun my chair around in front of the mirror and then looked at my reflection with me.  What she then did was a huge surprise...

The cute little grey haired plump little woman crouched down beside me and looked closely at my face.  She then said very loudly (in her cute little Jewish accent) "HONEY, HONEY, HONEY!!! LOOK AT YOUR FACE!"  (She was obviously very upset with me over something I had been doing to my skin).  She later went on to say "YOU DO NOT TRUST GOD!  LOOK AT YOUR FACE!" She then tried to comfort me by saying "You are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL" and then in a calmer voice she almost whispered "YOU DO NOT KNOW GOD!"  (Isaiah 14:24 tells us, “The LORD Almighty has sworn, ‘Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand.")

It was during this time that I had recently broken up with my boyfriend that I had been friends with for several years. It was a very difficult time for me. I was trying to work part-time (like I had done before the mission) while going to school full-time as well, but for some reason I couldn't handle the schedule mentally - which I couldn't understand why.  I couldn't think or communicate clearly, I had gained weight, my face looked puffy. I didn't know it at the time, but two years later I would learn that my body had developed an intolerance to gluten.  So, the problematic skin had a little bit to do with my bodies response to the food I was eating, but what Donair said was absolutely true as well.  I did NOT trust God with everything that was happening in my life at the time.

I love the song "I Thank God For Unanswered Prayers" sung by Garth Brooks.  Sometimes the things that are happening in our lives can be extremely frightening.  I spent two years going from Doctor to Doctor to try to find out what was wrong with me.  First diagnosis "Depression", 2nd diagnosis "Fibromyalgia", 3rd diagnosis "Epsteinbarr", 4th diagnosis "Chronic Fatigue".... then years later I was on a waiting list to see the "MS (Multiple Sclerosis Expert)...I did NOT want to get that condition and so I did some serious praying and studying and luckily found answers that reversed my symptoms. 

At one point in time, during the 'early days' of my declining health, I received a blessing from a spiritual priesthood leader that told me someday I would be able to "Share my Message With the World".  Little did I know then what I know now, but those words continue to give me peace and strength at the thought of one day sharing my message "With the World" as I constantly learn more and more about health and vitality.

At times it gets frustrating when I don't feel like I'm making a difference in the lives of anyone.  When I get down and discouraged, I need to remember Donair's words.  "Have FAITH and TRUST GOD".  I love you Donair!  I miss you!  I need your beautiful Jewish Words of Wisdom! 

Here are some quotes from one of my greatest heroes Mahatma Ghandi.  I become passionate about fighting this war on adulterated, genetically modified (GMO's), synthetic versions of Food that the corrupt government sees as "Safe" versus the pure, raw foods that our bodies need to heal - that the government sees as "Unsafe".  As I think of how to approach this "War of Seeds and this War to keep food in it's RAW, Naturally Organic State", I am often troubled, have insomnia, and I feel angry and helpless.  Ghandi's words and Donairs words bring me peace.

Ghandi was once approached by a Mother who wanted Ghandi to tell her Son that sugar was bad for him and to stop eating it.  Ghandi told her to go away, but to return one month later.  When the Woman returned with her Son Ghandi simply told him "don't eat sugar".  The woman asked why he couldn't have said that a month earlier.  Ghandi explained to her that if he had said that at the time, the little boy wouldn't have believed him.  Ghandi ate sugar himself.  During the month he sent the two away, Ghandi had omitted sugar from his own diet and so when he told the child "don't eat sugar" he really meant it.

It's interesting to hear people complain about "this" or "that" as it relates to unhealthy food places, but then they go out and buy the food anyway.  It takes a lot of forethought to make sure I buy organic, have nutritious alternatives for my kids and family.  Holidays and birthdays are a struggle - especially if you are given a food assignment.  Be the example of change you want to see in the world.

I'm following Ghandi's advice and will buy the organic produce, and support the growers, sellers and farmer markets with every penny I have.  I personally will NOT buy anything that would help the enemy.  The hard part is that GMO's are in nearly everything in the stores in one form or another - even in baby formula. So any support I give 'the enemy' will be on accident.

Perhaps my first step will be to approach the government and create a bill that states GMO's absolutely MUST be labeled.  If you are in another country outside of the United States I highly encourage you to also DEMAND that food containing GMO's MUST be labeled as such.  It's hard to boycott something without proper labeing. Boycott anything with GMO's in it. Monsanto has crushed thousands of farmers in the United States, who unintentionally get their lands contaminated with Monsantos seeds. Please Do NOT let any GMO seeds, or GMO products of any kinds into your beautiful lands.  I fear that in the not so distant future, American's who want truly organic food, will have to look to other nations to find pure unadulterated food supply.  Just like Mexican corn is being contaminated with GMO's unintentionally, so to can your crops also become contaminated if you accept GMO's and Monsanto's seeds into the country.

We were fined $400 because we forgot about some vegetables that we had brought with us to New Zealand. I am glad.  Very glad that the government of New Zealand is working so hard to prevent their native lands from being contaminated with fruit flies. I would hope that the countries government is as strict with letting produce and GMO's entering the country as they were with security at the airport. These days it's really difficult to know what has GMO's and what doesn't have GMO's since the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) in the US is corrupt (conflicting interests) and GMO labeling is not a requirement - despite how millions of American's are screaming out for GMO food labeling.


With love,

-Steffanie

Below are some wonderful information about Ghandi and some wonderful quotes. His words gave me comfort as I think about what I should do to help win this war to keep our food sources in their RAW, Organic (truly organic), natural way. (Thank you Squidoo.com for how you compiled this information.)

Mohandas Gandhi was a great political leader who was involved in the movement for Indian independence. He practiced the philosophy of civil disobedience through nonviolence and peaceful means. Get inspired by this selection of famous Gandhi quotes.

Facts About Mahatma Gandhi 

  • Born Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, commonly known as Mahatma on October 2, 1869
  • Studied in London and became a lawyer.
  • Spent 20 years in South Africa fighting for Indian rights.
  • Returned to India in 1915 and began his non-violence campaign for Indian Independance
  • Assassinated in January 1948

Gandhi Quotes on Faith 

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into.
~Mahatma Gandhi

There is nothing that wastes the body like worry, and one who has any faith in God should be ashamed to worry about anything whatsoever.
~Mahatma Gandhi

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Service 

It is the quality of our work which will please God and not the quantity.
~Mahatma Gandhi

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Man becomes great exactly in the degree in which he works for the welfare of his fellow-men.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Change 

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Life 

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
~Mahatma Gandhi

My life is my message.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Spirit 

It is my own firm belief that the strength of the soul grows in proportion as you subdue the flesh.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Spiritual relationship is far more precious than physical. Physical relationship divorced from spiritual is body without soul.
~Mahatma Gandhi

When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Happiness 

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Man falls from the pursuit of the ideal of plan living and high thinking the moment he wants to multiply his daily wants. Man's happiness really lies in contentment.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Tolerance and Kindness 

An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
~Mahatma Gandhi

I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Three-fourths of the miseries and misunderstandings in the world will disappear if we step into the shoes of our adversaries and understand their standpoint.
~Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi Quotes on Strength 
Nobody can hurt me without my permission.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I shall have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Poverty 

Poverty is the worst form of violence.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes On Hunger 

There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.
~Mahatma Gandhi

To a man with an empty stomach food is God.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Peace 

I offer you peace. I offer you love. I offer you friendship. I see your beauty. I hear your need. I feel your feelings. My wisdom flows from the Highest Source. I salute that Source in you. Let us work together for unity and love.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Courage 

Peace is the most powerful weapon of mankind. It takes more courage to take a blow than to give one. It takes more courage to try and talk things through than to start a war.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes On Prayer 

Prayer is the most potent instrument of action.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Gandhi Quotes on Social Change 

I do not believe in the doctrine of the greatest good of the greatest number. The only real, dignified, human doctrine is the greatest good of all.
~Mahatma Gandhi

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohandas_Karamchand_Gandhi for more information on the life of Mohandas Gandhi.

No comments: