Monday, January 10, 2011

Movement NEVER Lies

I was a dance major in college.  One of the great dancers I learned about was.  Martha Graham.  She continued to perform clear into her 70's.  I think she was around 76 when she retired from dancing.  I want to talk about something I learned in college about emotions affecting our movements.

Martha was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on May 11, 1894. After seeing her first dance performance, Martha knew that she wanted to be a dancer. Martha Graham never lied to her father. When she was young, her father told her that if she tried to lie to him he would always know. Her body would tell him the truth because the body's movement never lies.

Martha became fascinated with the idea that "movement never lies." She realized that the body's its own storyteller. She wanted to find ways to tell those stories through dance.

During my college years as a dance major I learned how my own movement "couldn't lie". I saw firsthand how my movement was restricted when I had emotions, thoughts or feelings that were being suppressed.  I had to work through the emotional issues so that my physical movement on stage wasn't hindered. 

This morning I could tell that my little boy was not telling me the truth.  I had the thought come to me "Words Lie but Movement Never Does" (as I remembered my years as a dancer).  I wondered if I could use muscle testing to find out the truth.  I had never tried this before on my kids.

The argument was silly.  I had moved some containers back downstairs and found them in their same spot minutes later.  I inquired who had moved the containers.  All of the kids said that "It wasn't ME".  My gutt told me it was my oldest son.  Why would he lie about something so trivial?  I wasn't going to get mad, I was just going to have him take the containers back downstairs where I had taken them.  It was frustrating that he was the one that was lying to me - he knew better.

I went through all the sayings "I know it was you"... "don't lie to me"..."how come you aren't telling me the truth" etc.

My son would say "how come you don't believe me?"  "I didn't!"  etc.

I walked over to my son and had him hold out his right arm to his side.  I told him to hold it there when I pressed down.  I asked him to tell me his name.  He said it and purposely made his arm go weak (I could easily press it down).  "Hold your arm strong!"  I told my son.  "Hold it strong, and say your name".  I was able to get a "strong" test.

Then, I said to my son, "Now, tell me that you didn't take the jugs."  My son began to say "I didn't....." and I tested his arm.  No matter how much he wanted to physically make his arm strong "lie", he couldn't.  It was a very tender moment when he leaned towards me, put his head on my waist and started to cry.  His words could lie, but no matter how much he wanted to, his movement couldn't lie.

For so many years, I've been fascinated with Martha Grahams quote "Words lie, but movement never does".

When we are lying to ourselves, our movement in life is halted.  We go through our own little "Hell" (a stop of progression) until we are weak enough that we must tell the truth.

My little son was a good example to me of what I need to be looking at inside of myself.  When I go weak, what lies am I trying to cover up in life?

It seemed like such a silly thing that my son was trying to cover up.  I simply was trying to tell him and the other kids that I wanted our little garden containers put away (out of sight) in the basement. His lying created a far more destructive situation than had he simply told the truth.

My Mom would always tell me "It HURTS to be BEAUTIFUL" when she would comb through my long hair.  (The same applies as we are combing through all the lies in our minds and hearts). My Mom would tell me she had to get out all of the "rats nests" in my hair so it would look nice- but it hurt!  In life we need to daily work through all of the little "rat nests" in our hearts and minds so that we can feel peace- even if that truth hurts!

My dance teacher would tell me "You GIVE to BALLET and in return it makes YOU BEAUTIFUL".  Basically, this is saying, CHOOSE TO WORK THROUGH THE PAIN.  When you try to go around, and avoid the pain, you miss the opportunity to refine your muscles, mind and spirit.  You miss out on growth when you try to avoid pain.  Long, beautiful muscles require daily exercise and attention.  The same applies to mental and spiritual strength as well.

Live the truth, and if the movement is painful, keep working through it until you or your dance partner learns correct form.

Remember, "Words lie, but MOVEMENT never does." 

Be TRUTHFUL with YOURSELF and with OTHERS.

So, how can you apply the above principle to being a CELIAC?

Celiac Disease is triggered by a "traumatic life experience" for most people.  Have you worked through the pain associated with that "traumatic life experience"?  I know I haven't completely.  Life introduces you to toxic people.  Learn to surround yourself with healthy alternatives, just as you would food.  For those people (foods) that we simply cannot separate ourselves from, use wisdom, use them sparingly, and try to appreciate the good they do have, and pray that God makes up for the difference.

A friend once told me that she felt so hypocritical praying that God would "bless the food (pizza)".  I smile when I think about a loving Father in Heaven who can do miracles - even for a pizza :)

Be truthful with yourself and others.  Take it in (not to the heart), and let it go out as waste (when you or others feed you a bunch of "crap")!

My thoughts are with you!

-Steffanie

No comments: