Saturday, January 15, 2011

Celiac Disease and Lactose Intolerance

Oh the topic of MILK!  When I was working with Doctors and Naturopaths in New Zealand, I knew better than bring up the highly debated topic of milk.  The Doctor I was working with did not consume dairy products.  His wife did not consume milk (actually all dairy products), nor did she eat gluten, processed foods, sugar or yeast. 

My going paralyzed and losing my vision and loss of strength was healed by incorporating raw milk into my diet.  The doctors knew about the studies of Dr. Weston Price and so I didn't want to debate my opinion with them as it relates to milk.  I briefly mentioned raw milk to them and told them I felt it was key to healing my neurological problems when I was experiencing symptoms of MS.  To my great relief, a Naturopath validated my claims by telling me and the others in the room that she had a patient that recovered from Multiple Sclerosis by changing her diet to a whole foods diet and by incorporating raw milk into the healing regimen.

I am PRO RAW Milk (from pasture raised cows), but I too am ANTI MILK if it is from cows fed grain, given growth hormones and enslaved in crowded spaces, so that the milk then has to be pasteurized and homogenized (killed completely) etc. to be considered 'safe' for human consumption and then synthetic vitamins are added back in to make it appear to be nutritious.  I believe this is why so many people are becoming intolerant to dairy products.  I do not consume processed milk - I only consume RAW milk from pasture fed cows that are part of a very clean dairy that I trust.  Read "Milk the Untold Story" listed in the recommendations on this site for more information and history about milk.

Processed milk, in my opinion, does more harm than good. It absolutely disgusts me when I think of children drinking it.  See my posts about Fox News Reporters that were fired (because of Monsanto's law suit threats) by trying to get the truth and dangers of Monsantos growth hormones found in milk, to the public.  DO NOT CONSUME PROCESSED, PASTEURIZED, HOMOGENIZED, CHEMICALLY tainted MILK.  YUCK!!!

Raw Milk, however, from pasture raised cows (on organic pastures) is incredibly healthy.  When a person has Celiac Disease their villi in their intestines is damaged so malabsorption occurs.  The tip of the villi that is the first part to be damaged from the auto-immune response is the part that digests milk.  When a person goes on a gluten-free diet they are also told to remove dairy from their diet until their villi is able to grow back.  Once the villi is restored milk can be consumed.  Raw milk has digestive enzymes in it (that hasn't been killed through pasteurization and homogenization).  If you are lactose intolerant, try getting off of gluten completely and then after a couple of weeks, or months, try introducing yourself to a fermented raw dairy product like keifer or buttermilk.  Then try raw cottage cheese, curd cheese or a small glass of raw milk.  It may surprise you to find out you can tolerate raw milk, but not processed milk.

Here is an article about milk intolerance's and its relationship to gluten intolerance...

"Lactose intolerance is very common in people with celiac disease, but lactose intolerance in celiac disease often improves after patients have been on a gluten-free diet for awhile.

Lactose is a type of sugar that is present in milk. Many people are lactose intolerant, meaning they are unable to digest significant amounts of lactose. As a result, they feel very uncomfortable after consuming dairy products, with symptoms that can include nausea, cramps, bloating, gas, and diarrhea.

The underlying cause of lactose intolerance is a shortage of an enzyme called lactase. Lactase is produced in the cells that line the mucosa, or inner surface, of the small intestine. Normally, the body uses lactase to digest lactose in the small intestine, so it can then be absorbed into the bloodstream. People with lactose intolerance can take over-the-counter lactase supplements to prevent unpleasant symptoms after drinking milk or eating dairy products.

Some people are lactose intolerant because they have inherited a genetic predisposition to develop a shortage of lactase. Others, however, develop lactose intolerance due to injury to the small intestine. Untreated celiac disease (that is, disease not being treated with the gluten-free diet) produces a chronic inflammation of the small intestine mucosa, injuring the cells that ordinarily produce lactase.

Several studies have shown that untreated celiac patients have high rates of lactose intolerance. As their intestines heal on the gluten-free diet, however, their lactase-producing cells begin to function again and their tolerance for lactose-containing foods improves. In fact, some researchers recommend that patients who are lactose intolerant when they are first diagnosed with celiac disease should be retested for the condition after they’ve been gluten-free for a year. The gluten-free diet may have helped improve their lactase production to the point where they no longer need to avoid dairy products."

Remember...raw milk has the enzymes in it needed for digestion. Just like fruits and vegetables do in their raw, organic state.

My favorite raw dairy products are yogurt and keifer.  I actually prefer raw goats milk, and raw goat cheeses.  I buy 4 1/2 gallons of raw goats milk a week, one container each of raw goat feta cheese, mozzarella and ricotta. YUM!  So yummy on salads and in soups!  I love a slice of raw goat cheese as a snack with real sea salt.

Lots of love,

Steffanie

No comments: