Sunday, December 5, 2010

Stop the THOUGHT

Last week as I was driving home late at night from a speaking assignment, I felt like a complete failure as a "Mormon".  I had been asked to speak about a particular topic, and since I was a replacement for the speaker that had originally been scheduled, I had been given the topic and what the individual wanted me to say the actual day of the event.  I had actually had 10 days to think about the topic I had been given "Raising the Bar and Setting Sights on the Temple" and felt good about the examples I would be sharing.  However, after talking to the woman responsible for the event for the youth in her church, (the day of the event) I downloaded and printed the talks she suggested and tried to reformat my talk to suit better everything that was discussed on the phone.  The result?  Who knows?  Perhaps some day one of those girls will thank me, but for now I didn't really feel like what I said was what the individual wanted me to talk about.  I hadn't given specific things to do.  I'd tried to use examples they could remember and that would give them reasons to reach towards the Temple as a goal.  That would require setting their standards high NOW!

These past 6 months I have been struggling with fatigue.  There has been a cycle every couple of years and the good news is that as the health "waves" (per say) have hit, I've grown stronger and have gained more wisdom as it relates to health and wellness.

Several weeks ago I was talking to a friend and told her that I feel like a hypocrite as a health and wellness coach.  She was able to help me see that because of the various health issues I've had, and how I've struggled to overcome them, I have been given knowledge that will help others.  This "era" will also serve me as well.  I need to find peace and know that it is God's will.  He has something more to teach me.

I believe I've finally reached a point where I will be able to get to the true root of my health issues.  Something that deep down I've always believed I'd come around to learning - eventually.  What are the thoughts or beliefs that are causing me to be so sensitive to food? 

So, with the fatigue I've experienced these past several months - even while eating an extremely healthy diet, it hasn't been enough. My husband thinks he knows the answer for me. Supplements!  More supplements!

I'm SO very prideful when it comes to taking supplements.  I do NOT want to take them.  Dr. Weston A Price had showed the world the populations in the early 1900's.  All across the world, there were men, women and children who were able to be vibrantly healthy WITHOUT supplements.  All they needed to do was to eat food that was NOT changed, or processed in any way.  They had specific habits that other healthy cultures throught the world also followed.

My husband and I got into a very serious debate about this issue.  He wanted me to take some supplements.  I've seen them do miracles with others.  They were designed to stop inflammation.  I yelled that I HAD been teaching about the supplements.  Didn't a woman who was on the verge of death just recover because of the supplements I'd given to her and because of the oils?  I also yelled back that if I was going to share with the world how to be healthy, how on earth was I going to accomplish that by promoting a stupid supplement.  Shane tried to remain calm, but he is a personality type 3 (The element Hydrogen or "Warrior" type).  He is constantly pushing me - especially if he wants to get something done, or get a point across.  I am the personality type 4 (The element Carbon or "Visionary" type) I want to be calm and still at ALL times.  His pushing literally makes me sick at times.  I resort to yelling to help the point sink into his head.  I agreed that the supplements were helping others.  I was NOT however going to preach to take supplements to the WORLD!!!

After several days of simmering down - yes I was really angry by his lack of faith in my abilities to NOT take supplements and be well, I thought about the following things...

1) The relationship of yeast (candida) to food sensitivities.  I thought about the water in the city just east of us.  They had an outbreak where everyone who had drank the water had become extremely sick.  The sewage line had somehow contaminated the water line.  It is a fairly new city, and the lines are only 10 or 15 years old.

2) The fruits and vegetables in the stores are not like what my Mom planted in our garden when I was growing up. 

3) The time to fix healthy meals can be very time consuming. Keeping fresh produce requires frequent trips to the store to make sure the produce doesn't go to waste and we only buy what is needed for a couple of day's meals. Soups take time to make, food in its natural and unprocessed state take time to prepare.  I can quickly grab raw veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds etc. but my husband and children require more thought and preparation to the meals they eat so they do not crave the bad stuff that's out there.  We make a healthy version of pizza for my five year old that he really appreciates.  This requires more thought and preparation - especially if I make a rawfoods buckwheat bread that requires days to dehydrate.

Shane argued that absolutely NO ONE was going to be able eat the way I suggested.  I yelled back that I DO believe they will!  He then said that even WE do NOT have access to pure air, pure water, pure foods.  He said that EVERYONE needs to be taking a supplement.  An Omega Oil supplement, a Trace Mineral Supplement and a Whole Foods Supplement.  We just do NOT have access to everything that we need to be healthy.  He yelled back.  (Yes funny, I know! We are fighting about food supplements).

I thought about the primitive cultures that I teach about.  I could picture in my mind their vibrant healthy faces; the health and mental strength of their youth.  I want that for myself and my family - without using some supplement that we will find out later didn't have this or had too much of that and that it really did more harm than good (like the public is now realizing about most of the crappy supplements that are on the market today).  Whole Foods Supplements are much better than synthetic ones!  At least whole foods supplements are the powder form of the food God intended we eat - not some replica from rocks or dirt that happen to contain the same elements that food does.

A man made a funny comment about supplements one time.  He put up on the board what percentage of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, water etc. the human body is made up of.  He then went on to explain how he had come up with a supplement that would replace the human body.  He explained how the supplement had the exact same constituents.  We all laughed.   It IS true.  There is NO substitute for the REAL thing.  The organic, raw state is ALWAYS going to win the race over time!

So, over the days that followed our debate about supplements I had the following thoughts...

1) The primitive cultures did not cherish the muscle meat from the animals they consumed.  Oft times it would be discarded and they would eat the animal organs instead.  That is where the highest amount of vitamins and minerals were found - especially if they were consumed raw.

2) I thought about the organ meats that I have access to.  Nothing came to mind except for the liver that is sold at Real Foods Market.  I thought about the Asian Markets.  Ewe...a cold chill rushed through my body.  I had NO idea where that meat came from.   There was no way that I would buy that.  Standard Process products have flash dried organ powder in pill form, but I could only purchase their products by visiting a doctor.

3) The nutrient dense soil that the primitive cultures used to plant their produce and grains etc. was not like the soil that farmers use today.  Perhaps in most of the world yes, but not in the areas we get our produce from.  The soil is depleted and not given adequate time to replenish the minerals in the soil.  I remember my Mom changing where plants had been the previous year.  I remember the ash from the fire that would be placed on the garden throughout the winter; how we put the organic cow manure on the soil in the spring, and the compost from our leftover produce as well.  The soil was very well cared for.

The argument continued with my husband...

I understood that in order to help with digestion and the breakdown of protein, primitive cultures used fermented (aged) foods that were high in digestive enzymes. 

I thought about Crystal, about Laurinda...."they ate like I did!" I responded to Shane.  Look at them!  I thought about my friends from Real Foods Market and about their parents.  They were absolutely beautiful and it was because of how their parents ate before they were born and how they continued to eat their lives and throughout their children's lives!  My husband changed his debate a little bit.  "Ok, he said" "Perhaps 95% of the population do NOT eat like we do!"

I know the difference, I have traveled to several foreign countries and I too can see the difference in the people's physical and mental abilities of people that live close to industrialized cities with highly refined food verses the individuals who live in the country and eat food that they've produced and raised etc.

If I was going to "teach the world what I've learned", how could I do that by suggesting a supplement?

I do not have an answer to that question.  There is a movement of people that are helping to re-educate Americans and the world that food does effect the mental, emotional, physical and even spiritual aspects of our lives.  Dr. Mercola, Dr. Fuhrman, David Wolfe, Sally Fallon, Mary Wigmon, Donna Gates among many, many others.

In a small way I feel like a failure as a health coach.  Like the world of processed food has won.  I cannot convince people to avoid "the bad" and eat "the good".  Unfortunately, these days it is really difficult to distinguish the bad from the good.  Everything is wrapped in pretty package and sometimes the food is stamped organic when it is NOT organic.  What can people believe?

I personally have started to take an omega, vitamin and mineral supplement.  We will see if my energy will return.  I feel really good on an all raw foods diet, but don't have the time to juice my drink every morning and to make sure all of my kids and husband have the raw food meals and are satisfied with them as well.

We eat better than anyone I know.  My husband received the highest scores on his medical exam that the medical professional had seen in "a very long time".  My children have not been sick for years.  When the swine flu went around our neighborhood we were sick maybe one day, but recovered very quickly.

What we are doing IS making a difference and it is my prayer that I will be well completely one day.

To me, being well means that I will NO LONGER have ANY type of food sensitivity.  I will not eat processed food, but hope to someday enjoy sprouted grains sparingly without any reaction at all - nor do I expect a reaction or bad thing to happen over time (like a miscarriage, hypothyroidism, diabetes, dementia, schizophrenia, depression, or any other neurological or emotional disorder) from eating gluten.

People have asked that I write a book.  If a person has cancer still and they write a book about being well, I would not buy that book.  I still have a gluten-intolerance.  One day, only when I am COMPLETELY well, I will write that book.  I will be healthy mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally.  I will be so busy living and loving life that perhaps someone will need to write the book for me.  :)

As for "Stopping the Thought" mentioned in the title...

After driving home from the young women even last week, alone, and with the feelings of embarrassment for perhaps not delivering the EXACT message they were looking for, I wanted to drive directly to Good Earth to buy Charlotte's gluten-free sugar cookies.  They come in a batch of 12.  They are the closest thing to a "Grandma's brand Sugar Cookie" that I'd ever tasted.  The more I thought about it, the stronger the desire. (I am an emotional eater- that is my weakness).  It helps to recognize the weakness so I can work to control my emotions and to find emotional comfort in other ways.

As I was trying to combat the strong desire to buy the enormous cookies, echoing in my mind were the words of my young woman leaders from many, many years ago.  "Stop the Sin at the Thought".  I knew that if I continued to play with the thoughts of eating gluten that I would succumb to it.  I had enough will power to avoid the exit to the store that sold the gluten-free sugar cookies.  I stopped thinking about the cookies.  I replaced that thought with something else.  "Your mind can only think of one thing at a time".  (I could hear the wisdom of my mutual leader, who was also my dance teacher and friend).  "Replace the bad thought with something positive".

As I made my way towards home I thought about the gas station that sold "zingers" that wasn't too far from where I lived.  They also sold donuts.  I could go there.  I could gorge myself on them.  I remembered how one evening after a fight with my husband I had gone to the gas station, purchased several sinfully unhealthy donuts of various sizes and flavors, had driven to the church parking lot (how ironic) and had cried as I sinfully ate my "bad food".  I knew it would make me sick, but I was soothing my pain with the donuts. 

Memories of my past "sins" (per say) with food flooded my mind as I tried to decide whether or not to pass up the road to my house and head for the gas station.  I knew how good the food would taste for the moment, but knew I would pay for it, and my children would suffer for the decision as well - it would take days to fully recover - physically, mentally and emotionally.

Pushing the thoughts out of my mind, I avoided the gas station and turned into my neighborhood.  I made it home without succumbing to the temptation.  I headed straight to the pantry and munched on some "healthy alternatives" while I talked through my disappointments with myself to my husband.

I can only avoid that bad by making sure to keep the thoughts out of my mind.  When I eat the way that I teach you on this blog site, I don't dwell on what pizza or breads tasted like.  I don't think about the candies, the cakes, the pastas etc.  I just don't think about them.  It's like I have a veil over my eyes when I'm at the grocery store.  I make sure that I'm not hungry when I go to the store.  Even if that means stuffing my mouth with almonds before I enter the stores front door, I head into the store and go directly to the produce isle.  My "no, no, no, no's" (that I use to echo to the kids) has now turned into "sure, yes, ok, good choice".  My kids have been conditioned to only ask for the food that they know we want in our kitchen at home.  They also want a healthy Mom.

It helps and believe me "Stop the Thought".  This is true for any sin that a person is trying to overcome.  I'll leave you with a couple of quotes that I found on http://www.self-help-and-self-development.com/thought-quotes.html.


THOUGHT QUOTES
  • If constructive thoughts are planted, positive outcomes will be the result. Plant the seeds of failure and failure will follow.
    - Sidney Madwed
  • It is the nature of thought to find its way into action.
    - Christian Nevell Bovee
     
  • The pleasantest things in the world are pleasant thoughts: and the great art of life is to have as many of them as possible.
    - Montaigne
  • The significant problems we face in life can not be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.
    - Albert Einstein
  • The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.
    - Marcus Aurelius
  • The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
    - Albert Einstein
  • You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.
    - James Allen
  • You have powers you never dreamed of. You can do things you never thought you could do. There are no limitations in what you can do except the limitations of your own mind.
    - Darwin P. Kingsley
  • Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.
    - Henri Bergson
  • Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.
    - Goethe
  • Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it.
    - Henry Ford
  • Thought creates character.
    - Annie Besant
  • Man’s power of choice enables him to think like an angel or a devil, a king or a slave. Whatever he chooses, mind will create and manifest.
    - Frederick Bailes
  • Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.
    - Franklin D. Roosevelt

  • Nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
    - William Shakespeare
  • Nurture your mind with great thoughts; to believe in the heroic makes heroes.
    - Benjamin Disraeli
  • Our subconscious minds have no sense of humor, play no jokes and cannot tell the difference between reality and an imagined thought or image. What we continually think about eventually will manifest in our lives.
    - Sidney Madwed
  • Remember, happiness doesn't depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely upon what you think.
    - Dale Carnegie
  • The game of life is the game of boomerangs. Our thoughts, deeds and words return to us sooner or later, with astounding accuracy.
    - Florence Shinn
  • The law of attraction attracts to you everything you need, according to the nature of your thought life. Your environment and financial condition are the perfect reflection of your habitual thinking. Thought rules the world.
    - Joseph Edward Murphy
  • The person who sends out positive thoughts activates the world around him positively and draws back to himself positive results.
    - Norman Vincent Peale
  • No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head.
    - Terry Josephson
  • You and I are not what we eat; we are what we think.
    - Walter Anderson
  • The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.

Here's to health!

Love,

Steffanie

No comments: