Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thick GREEN (VERY GREEN) Drink...


The Green Drink

In Natalie Rose's books "Raw Food Detox Diet", and "Life Force Energy", she talks about having her "Green Lemonade" every day for breakfast.  (This is the diet she gives to her all of her clients.  From the Jon Do's to the celebrities, models, etc.)

In Joel Furman's book "Eat to Live" (He's a Medical Doctor), he talks about eating a pound of raw vegetables and a pound of cooked vegetables a day and then a handful of starchy carbs from whole grains or starchy vegetables. 

The Vitamix is a great way to break down vegetables in the smallest way possible so that your cells literally are fed by all the raw, wonderful ingredients when you make smoothies, soups etc. 

What I'm talking about with a Green Drink is made by using a juicer - using primarily greens and taking it easy on the apples, carrots, etc.

In the "Raw Food World" that I've been introduced into, so many people talk about the importance of having their "Green Drink" for breakfast.  They talk about the importance of Leafy GREENS. 

I read an article the other day that talked about vegans that were able to get plenty of protein from plant sources.  The protein suggested was in greater amounts in SPINACHE, KALE, BROCCOLI, and HEMP SEED. 

The other day when I was at the Health Food Store I noticed the Hemp Seed.  I felt drawn to it; as if my body needed it and I should buy it.  I dismissed the thought, and didn't buy it.  After reading the article on protein I realized that I should have purchased the hemp seed.  I will next time I go to the store.

Spinach is a stable in the refrigerator, as is broccoli.  I've begun to buy Kale so that I can add it to my "green drink" in the morning. 

Beautiful, vibrant, healthy friends of mine (who eat healthier than I do) swear by their "green drinks".

A couple of days ago I purchased a freshly made "green drink" from Real Foods Market.  I took a drink.... UGHHH....it was a power packed punch of "green tasting stuff - with a hint of lime". 
After a couple of minutes I felt this feeling of energy begin to creep through my body.  My thoughts went back to a seminar (on DVD) that I'd watched from the Longevity Conference.  The two men were talking about Elixirs (or raw food drinks) that they made at their raw food "bar" in California.  They joked about one particular "elixir" that contained seaweed and kelp that gave them a "buzz" or feeling of "being high". 

So, I drank the green drink and felt the so-called "buzz".  It did give me a feeling of being high - as they called it.  (I've never taken drugs and so I don't really know what that is like) but the feeling of wellbeing, of increased energy, and a feeling of peace flowed over me as I cringed - forcing myself to drink the remainder of the drink.

From Wikipedia: Leaf vegetables are typically low in calories, low in fat, high in protein per calorie, high in dietary fiber, high in iron and calcium, and very high in phytochemicals such as vitamin C, carotenoids, lutein and folic acid as well as Vitamin K.

The reason that I highlighted "high in protein per calorie" is because Joel Furhman taught me a very important lesson in his book "Eat to Live".  He's a medical doctor and he helps people heal and uses his diet of fruits, vegetables, small amounts of grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds to heal his patients.  He explained in great detail how we as consumers have been marketed that the best sources of protein are from meats.  He explains about how green leafy vegetables are high in protein per CALORIE.  This is what's important, and this is why vegans, vegetarians who eat plenty of green drinks, and greens have no problem at all with insufficient protein.

I am nursing my baby who is now one month old.  I've been off of dairy and meat for over three weeks now.  My baby has seemed to hit a growth spurt this last week.  She is no longer drowning in her newborn clothes.  She fills them out completely now.  She nurses really well for 15-20 minutes and then contently sleeps for 3-4 hours.  She has slept the entire night (from 9 or 10 at night to 4 or 5 in the morning).  I believe what I eat has a lot to do with how peaceful she sleeps, and to how long she can go between meal times.

Back to green drinks...

Being without dairy or meat, I have felt and know now for myself that green drinks in the morning are absolutely critical to my success eating a "Joel Furhman" diet.  I'm not completely a raw foodist, am vegan only in the spring and summer, am a vegetarian during the spring and summer "warm seasons" (If I was in a cold climate like Alaska or Northern Canada where it's cold almost year round in some places, I would DEFINITELY eat fish year round.

This morning our Green Drink consisted of Kale (an entire bag of it), spouts (1 container of Alfalfa, and a little leftover container of Broccoli Sprouts), 1/2 a stock of organic celery (I WILL NOT buy celery that is NOT organic), carrots from Grandma's garden, and left over apples, limes and 1/2 a lemon.  We were going out of town and these were the last of the vegetables left in the fridge.  I would have added spinach leaves, but ate the last of them yesterday in a salad.

The result…

A very THICK GREEN Drink.  It reminded me of the one I purchased in the store a couple days ago.  My 3 year old loved it.  My five year old drank it down after adding maple syrup to it.  My 8 year old drank it, and my daughter who's 7 hasn't been convinced yet.  We've had the little chat about models and celebrities having their green drink, but she's still not convinced. 

Alternative...

My daughter, which is having a hard time drinking the fresh homemade green drink, does a fabulous job at drinking my quick "Green Lemonade".  We use Natures Sunshine’s Ultimate Greens, with freshly squeezed lime or lemonade.  We use stevia, or maple syrup to sweeten it.  She loves it and even offers it to friends.  She wanted to sell it at the lemonade stand, but I told her it was too expensive to sell to someone who might not appreciate its healthy benefits.

So, my advice to anyone struggling with health issues, weight issues, or emotional problems is....

Drink a GREEN DRINK every single morning.  Don't skip a day.

For those with Depression...make sure you juice Alfalfa.  Add some dandelion leaves if you can find them - before anyone sprays them with pesticides.

Lots of love and health!

-Steffanie

No comments: