Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Gluten Free * (With an Asterisk)

Oh....it's been a bad month for me with regards to getting gluten on accident.  Let me tell you about the most recent one...

I received a gift of chocolates that said GLUTEN FREE*  (Notice the Asterisk)

We didn't notice the asterisk and so Shane happily reported they were Gluten Free and offered me one.  I don't like chocolate very much but I ate it - just to try it - after all it WAS gluten-free (we thought).  Then about 20 minutes later I began to feel my batteries draining.... I looked at the bag and read the fine print below - it didn't even have the asterisk anywhere as it should have .  It listed the products they sold and how two of the products (with the same packaging) are NOT gluten free.  Oh good, Shane commented, this isn't one of those products that are NOT gluten free.  We then turned the package over and looked at the ingredients....it says Maltitol (FROM WHEAT) as the second ingredient...

So how is that Gluten Free?  Hummmm....

I was at a Relief Society event one time when I turned the fruit juice around to look at the ingredients.  At that time I was in really good shape and was very skinny.  The lady, assuming I was counting calories, rolled her eyes at me and walked away.  I wanted to throw the juice bottle at her head.  What an idiot.  If she only knew.  By the way....the juice DID have gluten in it - and I DIDN'T drink it.  Unfortunately eating socially for me is something I absolutely HATE.

At the Company Christmas Party this year, we went to Rodizzio Grill.  I was very reluctant to go and told Shane I really just wanted to stay home, because I was worried about getting sick.  He had me call the restaurant and they enthusiastically said "almost everything on our menu is gluten free".  So, I went and had a fabulous time with everyone.  Then the reality hit when I couldn't walk from the car to the house without assistance - Shane had to help me.  Then, I was bedridden all day, the next day, and the next day.  Three days of my life wasted because I trusted the cooks, I trusted the gluten-free menu, I trusted the waitresses.  When I'm that sick it's not from contamination....there was something that was SUPPOSE to be gluten-free that was absolutely NOT.  I didn't even eat any of their meat...it was something in their salad bar that was suppose to be on their "NOT Gluten Free List" they gave me to navigate through their salad bar or it was my drink that was supposedly gluten-free that really wasn't. 
FYI...the salad and soupa touscana at Olive Garden is NOT gluten-free anymore.  What a disappointment.  Their gluten free dish is really nasty.  It's like a bad gluten free pasta covered in tomato sauce (plain) without spices....and heated in a nightmare TV dinner fashion...don't bother buying it.

Sorry this blog is so negative....

Oh....the next contamination.... I bought honeycomb for myself.  Yes it's a very expensive $14 tiny square of honey comb - I use when I'm tempted by all the Christmas goodies neighbors bring by.  My Nanny decided to spread it on wheat bread....???? and dip the knife into the honey again...contaminating the whole thing...   Fortunately I only got sick twice from it before I noticed all the tiny bread crumbs....URGH....I need to put locks on everything in my kitchen and only I have a key....

2 comments:

Brianna Coles said...

WOW Steff! What a frustrating situation! *hugs

I am going to begin a candida cleanse. I think I need your help!!!!! Have any time I could pick your brain? Call me :)

Ramona said...

I found your blog through Brianna and I'm a fellow celiac sufferer! I can 100% relate to the social aspects of celiac. It's awful! And I don't even have close to the symptoms you do, so I can't imagine. I just "feel" off for a day or so as it works through my system. I'm excited to have found your blog and will be reading it regularly!